And now, I restore the undercarriage of My Fiat 600D.
In Part 2, where I crawled all around my car, I discovered that, while fairly rust free on the exterior, it had some rust I needed to take care of underneath. The plan was originally to get this all done over the winter, but that didn’t happen. News flash to me – winter is cold and not very enjoyable to work in. So, it took longer than I thought it would, but that’s OK. That’s part of what keeps a project car from becoming a chore – no deadlines. If I’m not enjoying my work on it, I’ll put my tools down and come back to it later.
At the end of Part 2, you can see that I had removed the interior and drive-train. This was done to make the car as light as possible, in order to roll it over without causing any damage, hopefully. I bought a bunch of baby crib bumpers at Goodwill and placed them in the places I thought the car would need them the most. My brother and I then rolled it over on it’s passenger side. I had to prop it up with a couple of green, plastic rain gutters.
There I am, surrounded by 45 years of road grime, dust, and who-knows-what. I’m still cleaning that dust out of my garage… I took dozens of pictures of the rear suspension, brake lines, etc, so that I knew how they were routed, and then removed them.
In these next couple of close-up pics, you can see some small rust holes. I suspect that moisture was trapped in the undercoating and road grime and rusted through in a couple of spots. The holes were all small, so I covered over them with fiberglass during the painting process.
I used POR-15 to paint the undercarriage, starting with the very back section.
I don’t know how long this process took. Many, many, many, many hours. But it’s done now and it was worth the effort. I wonder how much a shop would have charged for this…
Next up: Brakes and steering!
If you have any questions or comments, contact me using the contact page or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Cheers.