Updated: Feb 13, 2017
The 767cc engine and transaxle are ready to go back into the car. I’ve left them mostly stock; saving most of the modifications for the 903cc engine going in later. However, I will share with you what I’ve done to get them ready to go.
First, you’ll remember in Part 2 that I had done some work already to the 767. I added the oil pressure sender and gauge from a Fiat 850. I had the cylinder head cleaned and decked, replaced the Solex carb with a Weber 28 ICP 1 that I rebuilt, and replaced the 600’s distributor with one from a Fiat 850. Then, at the end of part 2, when I removed them, they were both covered in a 1/4″ or more of hardened oil and road grime.
At this point, there were only a couple of things I wanted to do with it. I cleaned it up and replaced all of the freeze plugs. The plug in the back was leaking and I figured that the rest weren’t far behind.
I had the fly wheel resurfaced and change the pressure plate to one from a Fiat 850.
Lastly, I changed out the stock coolant outlet elbow with a thermostat housing base, part number 0004188742. It’s similar to one from a Fiat 850, but it has no heater hose outlet on it, which makes it great for the 600s. I removed the thermostat from the 600’s radiator, since I’m using the thermostat from an 850. I took the radiator in to Wilson Radiator to have the top inlet turned 90 degrees so that it points to the back of the car, like it does on the Fiat 850, and to have the thermostat blocked. When they pressure tested it, I found out that it had core rot and was bubbling like a fish tank. Not good. Time for a new core.
Before it goes in, though, I thought I would take the time to prep and paint the area behind the radiator.
I’ll be back with impressions when it’s back together and running. 🙂
If you have any questions or comments, contact me using the contact page or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Cheers.